Cultivating Minds Without Losing My Own

Join me on my Adventures in Elementary Education

Witches Walking Wacky and Dogs Doing Math- Sound a Little Crazy? Nope Just Another Day in Room 11

October25

Holy mackerel Batman!  We accomplished SO MUCH today I’m still reeling!  We have been publishing our writing and part of that process means a conference between me and each of the students in the class.  During this conference we discuss the pros and cons of each writing piece.  It is a very special time working with each child individually that I really look forward to.   A pattern became very evident as we conferenced.  We are using the same words over and over in our writing.  This is not good.  So today we bid adieu to some of our favorite words and with the help of some wacky witches legs we welcomed some wonderful new alternatives.  Each student created a snazzy set of legs to help us come up with creative ways to have our characters move through our stories.  Walk was getting old!  Borrowing some Aerosmith lyrics we put together a bright, fun hallway display.

Sadly some words needed a more permanent farewell.  We held a funeral for the following words in class today- said, pretty, good, and bad.  These poor words have been used to death! As a sign of appreciation for all the use they have given us, we decorated their tombstones with some updated synonyms to use in their place.  Hopefully our graveyard does not have to grow as the year  progresses.  Please encourage your child to use new words whenever possible!  As some wise woman once said (OK it was me, and while my wiseness may be yet proven the words work!) ” You can never have too many words or too many shoes!”                         

It ws not all word games today.  We joined the RM Bacon Dog Pound and started our SumDog.com journey.  SumDog is a website that allows students to practise and review skills at their own pace.  Each student has a log-in and can access the site from home or school.  I have added it to the links portion of this site.  Students will use the quick log-in option and our school code is Rm_2.  Students should have written their user name and pass code in their agendas. 

Finally, at the end of the day we had a visit from my stepson, Tyler.  Tyler is a pretty cool kid who happens to have some challenges when it comes to learning.  He is instructed in reading using braille and has also been learning sign language.  Last year, we  learned quite a few signs throughout the year.  Tyler shared a braille story book with the class and let them feel how he reads.  All in all it was a pretty cool experience for us all.

Email will not be published

Website example

Your Comment:

Skip to toolbar