Cultivating Minds Without Losing My Own

Join me on my Adventures in Elementary Education

Fire Safety and Veteran’s Day- Weekly Objectives

November5

This week is a shortened week due to the now canceled NJEA convention.  Due to Hurricane Sandy and the devastation it has left in its wake, the actual convention (a professional development opportunity for NJ teachers held in AC) has been canceled.   I encourage you to visit the following website to see how you can help the many people who’s lives have been destroyed by this storm.  Donations can be small, such as used clothing or toys you have lying around the house or even small monetary amounts.  Now matter how small your contribution it lets those effected know that they are not alone.  Here is the link to a site that is designated to helping Southern New Jersey residents:  http://interoccupy.net/occupysandy/southjersey/.  Please consider donating or volunteering if you can.

We will be visiting with the local fire department this week.  Each year, they come to our school to discuss the importance of fire safety.  In addition to their talk about fire alarms and carbon monoxide alarms, students get to experience a smoke filled mock fire situation so they can truly understand the confusion a fire creates.  Please review your fire safety plan with your child including at least 2 exit routes from your house, a meeting place, and important phone numbers.  Also, be sure your child has turned in their fire safety house permission slip prior to our visit on Wednesday so that they can participate.

We will also be learning about Veteran’s Day this week.  Veteran’s Day is celebrated on November11th each year.  We will be discussing the origins of the day as well as ways we can show our appreciation to our local veterans.  Below is a link to a Veteran’s Day video I created on a trip to Washington D.C. a few years ago.  Please feel free to share it!

by posted under technology | No Comments »    

Email will not be published

Website example

Your Comment:

Skip to toolbar