Cultivating Minds Without Losing My Own

Join me on my Adventures in Elementary Education

‘Twas the End of the Marking Period- A Cautionary Tale

November5

‘Twas the end of the marking period and all through the school, students and teachers were in a wrapping up mood.

Assignments were handed in completed with care, in hopes that their averages would show some repair.

Students all leave on that very last day, with sighs of relief, giving high fives on the way.

And teachers stay late, coffee cups full.  Preparing for and all-nighter to pull.  When what in the hall made such a racket? Someone has finished early and ran home donning a jacket!

Away to our windows the rest of us ran in flash. Begging for more coffee and tossing him cash.

The moon is now high.  We pack up to go.  How much longer we’ll be grading no one really does know. 

Home to our families, tired children, and cold meals, promising tomorrow more progress we’ll feel.

Monitors on for grades to input. Pop! Great! My computer just went kaput!  Frantic I call tech support STAT, “fix it” I plead, “do this then do that!”

A smooth steady hum finally returns.  Clickety, clackety typing a’til my eyes burn.  As the last grade is entered and the save button hit, a sigh of relief escapes from my lips.

I promise myself that for the next quarter, I’ll procrastinate less and do more with my daughters. 

Each prep period will to its fullest extent be used, so the night before grades are due I won’t be burning a fuse.

The lesson my friends both students and teachers, is don’t put off assignments, be hard working creatures!

Work in steady pieces, a little each day!  ‘Tis a much better, more productive way!

Email will not be published

Website example

Your Comment:

Skip to toolbar