Cultivating Minds Without Losing My Own

Join me on my Adventures in Elementary Education

Weekly Objectives for 10/15-10/18

October15

Columbus DayI hope you all had a nice, relaxing long weekend!  We were off to celebrate the birthday of the man credited with “discovering” our country.  While America was not his intended destination, I think we can all agree that his landing here was a happy mistake for us!  This week is jam packed with both new learning experiences as well as a review session for what we have learned already this year in preparation for our first Model Assessment.  We will take an assessment every 5-6 weeks this year to help me better analyze where we are, where we are going, and what we need to review.  While I’m sure the kids as well as myself are not looking forward to all this testing, it will give me valuable information as to what is working and what we can improve on.  It will also be useful to you as parents to guage how well your child is progressing throughout the year.  I will send home a detailed report once all tests have been scored and analyzed.  Look for a reading level report this week.  I have completed our first round of Fountas and Pinnell testing (the benchmark assessment we use to assess a child’s reading level) and have created personalized graphs and suggestion sheets for each child.  Use this information when selecting books from our class book orders, school book fairs, or when selecting books from the library to help you child build reading and vocabulary mileage. 

Math:

This week we will be focusing our efforts on learning the basics of division.  In addition to division we will be reviewing all of the math concepts we have encountered so far.  Please feel free to go back through previous posts to find areas your child seemed to struggle with and review the videos and lessons.  This video is a great introduction to division.

Introduction to Division

More math videos on Division at NeoK12.com  

Reading:

This week we will be continuing our work with comparing and contrasting characters and elements of stories.  In addition to that we will be reviewing the types of sentences as well as subjects and predicates.  Instead of starting a whole new story in this short week and rushing things, we will be studying a few poems.  The first is “The Landlord’s Tale; Paul Revere’s Ride” and the second is “The Village Blacksmith.”  Both poems are by the poet, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow.  We will be studying how poems are organized differently then prose stories as well as the rhyme patterns within each poem.   Below are readings of each of the poems. 

“The Landlord’s Tale: Paul Revere’s Ride”

“The Village Blacksmith”

by posted under Language Arts | No Comments »    

Email will not be published

Website example

Your Comment:

Skip to toolbar