And We’re Off!!!!! Learning Adventures for September 8-11

WOW! I am so excited about this year!  We got off to an AMAZING start last week!  Here are some high lights:

Welcome to our newest Bacon Bear!

Welcome to our newest Bacon Bear!

We celebrated our first birthday of the year healthy schools style!

Trying out our new playground equipment!  Future Lacrosse players in the making!

Trying out our new playground equipment! Future Lacrosse players in the making!

We created class rule posters

We created class rule posters

We learned about being Bucket Fillers and pledged to be a Bully Free Zone this year!

We will be doing some pretty epic things this year and I have MANY surprises up my sleeves, but it’s going to be hard to top our first class music video (while it’s a little hard to hear them, we changed all the lyrics to Whip Nae Nae to relate it to school!)

Every Sunday, while I am planning our lessons for the week, I will also update this blog.   In each update I will post our learning goals for the week along with helpful videos or tips to make homework a breeze!  We will have homework every night except Fridays.  Also, please remember to check and sign your child’s agenda EVERY DAY (even Fridays).  On the front of your child’s homework folder you will see a communication sheet that I will update daily.  They receive a sticker or smiley face for each task they complete that day: have their agenda signed, turned in any homework, completed classrwork assignments and have had a good day behavior wise.  If for some reason you see a check mark any any of those columns, please peek in the folder for a note explaining the cause.  They will either have a “Sour Note” for forgetting their homework (they can complete it and turn it in for the next day. I accept late work within reason), a “Bitter Note” for any behavior issues (I will ask that it is signed and returned to show that you received it), or an “Uh-Oh Note” explaining why classwork was not completed (this work is then added to their homework to be completed that night).

remind

This week’s learning goals:

Reading:

We will be learning about the different genres (types) of literature we will read this year.  Below is a short video that defines each genre for you to review with your child.   We will be creating graphic organizers in our interactive notebooks to help us study and remember these throughout the year.  There will be a short quiz on Friday to test our skills at classifying fiction or non fiction pieces of writing.

Math:

We will be learning different ways to read and write numbers as well as reviewing place value. Good Luck getting this song out of your head!  (I’m sorry in advance for the many silly songs that you will be stuck singing this year!)

Science:

We will be doing a lot of experiments this year!  Before we can do any of them though, we need to review proper safety procedures.  We will be spending time this week creating safety posters to serve as reminders for us.

Social Studies:

This week we will be learning about how departments in the community work together to keep us healthy and safe.  Our class jobs are set up to model these community groups.  We will also be working on locating we in the world we live!  Sorry no cute video for this one!