Happy First Week of Autumn! Learning Goals for 9/21-9/25

fall

I saw this image posted on a friend’s Facebook page and just fell in love with it!  Autumn is truly a magical time and one of my two favorite seasons.  I love fall and spring because the changes that take place in just a matter of weeks are just breath taking!  I am looking forward to some fall nature walks with the class to learn about the science behind the changes we see in nature around us.  Last week was amazing!  Our first full week together, our first story, finished our first math chapter, and completed our first assessments of the year.  I am very impressed with my class!  This week we are going to continue with our learning momentum by working on the following goals:

Reading:

This week we will be reading the story, “What About Me.”  Our reading strategy that we will be working on is identifying the sequence, or order of events, in a story.  You can help your child work on this at home by reading together (anything will do!  Short books, chapter books, magazine articles, comic books all work) and asking them to tell you what happened first, next, last, etc.  Below is the presentation that I will be using with the class to introduce this concept.

Vocabulary:

Carpenter- noun.  someone whose work is building and repairing things made of wood.

Carpetmaker- noun.  A person who makes rugs for floors

Knowledge- noun.  What you know

Marketplace- noun.  A place where people meet to buy and sell things.

Merchant- noun.  A person who buys and sells goods for a living.

Plenty- noun.  A full supply, all that you need; a large enough amount or number

Straying- verb.  To lose your way; wander, roam

Thread- noun.  A very thin string made of strands of cotton, silk, wool, or nylon, spun and twisted together

Spelling Skill:

This week we will be working with making nouns plural.  We will review the rules for making nouns plural as seen in the video below:

Math:

We will be beginning Topic 2 in math this week.  Our focus will be on addition and subtraction.  We will learn the properties of addition this week as well as some tricks to help us add using mental math (this may look a bit different than what you may remember the Prezi below should be helpful).

Properties of Addition (commutative, associative, and zero)

Adding using Mental Math- The Common Core Edition

Science:

This week we will be continuing our work with states of matter.  We will be conducting 3 experiments to learn more about how atoms look in each state of matter as well as how matter can change from one state to another.

Social Studies:

We will be looking at what it takes to keep a community running this week.  We will be reading about the elements of a community in our Social Studies book and creating a postcard  highlighting our favorite part of our community.

Homework:

Monday: Addition practice worksheet (please be sure your child shows their work!), Reading comprehension worksheet

Tuesday: Addition practice worksheet (please be sure your child shows their work!), Reading comprehension worksheet

Wednesday: Addition practice worksheet (mental math), Reading comprehension worksheet

Thursday: Subtraction practice worksheet (please be sure your child shows their work!), Reading comprehension worksheet, STUDY VOCABULARY

Friday: No homework, READING and VOCABULARY TEST