Goodbye September, Hello October! Weekly Learning Goals 9/28-10/2

Fun Friday Math Centers! Math Duel App and Mobymax.com are some of our favorites!

One month down!  Where did the time go?!  In the past month, we spent a log of time setting up our routines and getting used to our daily schedule.  I think we FINALLY have it set! I want to take some time to explain to you what life in our room looks like on an average day. Take a peek at our schedule below:

9:15-9:30- Morning Meeting- During this time we are learning how to greet each other in a new language everyday!  Ask you child how to say hello in any of the following languages: Romanian, Hungarian, Russian, French, Italian, Sign Language, Hindu, Swahili, Spanish, German, and I’m sure I’m missing a few!  We are up to 13 different languages!  We also take some time to “check in” with each other during this meeting to set the tone for a successful day.

9:30-11ish- Language Arts- During this time we have 4-5 mini-lessons and go to 4-5 centers.  I follow the Daily 5 approach to teaching.  This allows for short periods of focused learning (mini lessons lasting about 10-15 minutes) broken up by time in centers practicing our Language Arts skills.  Each day we will have a mini lesson in each of the following areas- spelling/vocab, grammar, reading strategies, and writing strategies.  Our centers focus on the skills learned in the mini lessons as well as reinforcing skills we’ve learned previously.  We have centers that focus on Word Work (vocabulary), Listening to Reading, Reading to Self, Reading to Someone, Guided Reading, and Working on Writing.  The work done in centers is done continuously throughout the week and only graded on Fridays.

11ish-12 and 1-1:30- Math- We begin each math lesson with a common core review that asks students to practice a variety of skills.  After we discuss that we move on to the day’s lesson including a short video to introduce the concept, guided practice and independent practice.  Our math class is divided by recess and lunch.  After we return from lunch and take our bathroom break, we do some math centers.  During this time, I will work with students who are struggling with the concept in small groups while the others are practicing the concept in a variety of ways (ipad apps, mobymax website, etc).

1:30-2:15- Science- By far one of our favorite times of the day!  We will conduct experiments, read about science concepts, and interact with different apps and web sites throughout the year during this time.  We are currently wrapping up our first area of study- matter.  We will also be studying the following areas this year: Ecosystems, Life Cycles, Weather and Climate, and Engineering and Design.

2:18-3:00- Specials

3:00-3:30- Social Studies- This year our focus is on the elements and interactions in a community.  I am hoping to have a few guest speakers from our community come in to help explain how we all play a part in making our community run smoothly.

Whew!  After seeing it all in writing, it’s no wonder I’m exhausted at the end of the day!  As you can see, we work hard ALL day!  That being said, we do have fun too.  We have recess daily before lunch to make sure we’ve worked up a healthy appetite.  We also do alter our schedules a bit on Fridays to allow for fun math centers (more game oriented with some sneaky learning built in).  I tell them daily we work hard, but we will play hard too throughout the year!  Speaking of hard work here are our learning goals for this week as well as some resources to help you support learning at home:

Reading:

This week we will be reading the story, “Kumak’s Fish.”  We will be continuing to work with the concept of Sequence, or order of events.  In addition to this we will be completing our first full writing piece, a friendly letter to a teacher that student’s would like to thank for teaching them something in the past.  All letters will be “mailed” to the teachers on Friday.  Our grammar skill this week is classifying sentences as declarative (statements) or interrogative (questions).  The presentation below will help you to review this concept at home:

Our spelling concept this week will focus on using base words to help with meaning.  Our spelling words are: using, getting, easiest, swimming, heavier, greatest, pleased, emptied, leaving, worried, strangest, freezing, funniest, angrier, shopped.  While I do not give traditional spelling tests, students are tested on their ability to explain the spelling concept for the week on the weekly test.  I will be trying something different for homework this Thursday to help better prepare students for the weekly reading test.  Stay tuned!
Vocabulary words this week:
Gear- noun.  the equipment or clothing needed for a particular activity.
Parka- noun. a warm, heavy jacket with a hood
Splendid- adjective.  very good, excellent
Twitch- verb.  to make small, jerky movements
Willow- noun.  a tree with narrow leaves and thing branches that bend easily.
Yanked- verb.  to pull with a sudden, sharp movement.
Math:
We will be working on estimating and rounding this week.  This is a difficult skill for students to comprehend.  The short video below demonstrates how I teach them in class (minus the silly rap).  We have to fully get rounding before we can start estimating.

Science:

We will be completing our unit on matter this week and taking a quiz on Thursday.

Social Studies:

We will be working with how to read and interpret graphs this week.