Mid Marking Period Explained and Learning Goals for October 5-8

Hopefully this week will bring back the sun!  These rainy days are no fun!  We did try to make the best this week by using our favorite “go to” indoor recess solution, GoNoodle.com.  This website was a true sanity saver this week!  Take a peek at the video below showing one of our favorite GoNoodle activities, “Secret Handshakes.”

We also were gifted with dictionaries by our local ELKS.  Every year they deliver dictionaries to the third graders all over the district.  These dictionaries are the students to keep!  They were so excited!  I actually had to tell them to stop reading them later that day so we could get our math done! (a pretty good problem to have for a teacher)

We wrapped up the 1st half of the 1st marking period on Friday.  This is the first year that your child will be bringing home a Mid Marking Period Report.  It looks very similar to our report cards.  These reports, while very useful and informative, can cause anxiety for both parents and students.  Here is my philosophy- this is just showing you where your child is at the current moment.  It is not the final report for the marking period.  I take time to add comments when necessary to help students make corrections and raise grades for their actual report cards.  If you have any questions or concerns, please CONTACT ME!!!!!!!  I can be easily reached via email at carrie.sinone@millvillenj.gov.  If you’d rather talk to me via a phone conference or meet with me in person, please call the school and we can set that up (856-327-6101).  Also, so that you are not caught off guard and can better monitor your child’s progress, be sure to sign up for the Infinite Campus Parent Portal.  To do this follow these steps:

1.  visit the Millville Public Schools website (www.millvillenj.gov)

2.  Click on the Parents tab

3.  Click on the link for Infinite Campus Information

4.  Complete the 2 online forms, once complete you will be emailed an activation code with directions for how to access your child’s grades.

Once you have done this, you will have 24/7 access to your child’s grades.  I update my grade book at least once a week.  You will see if they have missing assignments, how they are doing on classwork, and their test grades. You will also be able to email me directly from that site with any questions regarding specific grades.

Another great way to stay informed is to subscribe to this blog (input your email to the right), and also to sign up for Remind.  Once you are signed up for Remind, you will receive texts about upcoming tests and other important class information.  Follow the steps below:

remind

The week is a short week for the students.  They will have off on Friday so that the staff can attend a professional development day.  On Tuesday they will have a substitute.  We have discussed substitute behavior and I am sure that all will go well.  I try very hard not to take off unless it is important.  Unfortunately this month there are multiple times that I will be out.  Once this week, again on the 22-23 as I am attending a leadership conference, and finally I am hoping NOT to get called for jury duty, but it is a possibility during the last week of the month (cross your fingers!).  We will still be working very hard even though the week is short!

Reading:

We will be reading an informational story called, “Supermarket” this week.  We will learn how food gets to the supermarkets.  Our focus skill will be compare and contrast.  See the link below to review that concept at home.  Our vocabulary words for the week are as follows:

1.  Section- noun. part or division of something

2. Store- 1.  noun. a place where things are sold  2. verb. to put things away until they are needed.

3.  Spoiled- verb. 1. to become bad or not good to eat.  2. to injure the character or disposition of

4. Traded- verb. to exchange one thing for another.

5. Laundry- 1. noun. clothes, towels, and other such items that need to be washed or have just been washed.  2. adjective. used for doing laundry

6. Shelves- noun.  a horizontal board on a wall or in a cupboard, used for holding or  storing things

7. Thousands- noun or adjective. ten hundred, 1,000

8.  Variety- noun.  a selection of different things

We will have a test on these vocab words, the compare and contrast concept, and long vowel digraphs that form the long 0, a, and e sounds on Thursday.

Math:

We will be wrapping up Topic 2 this week with a test on Tuesday.  We will then be working with adding 3 digit numbers.  We are going to ease into this by using number models and manipulatives.   Check out the video below to see help explain what this looks like.  I know it seems like a drawn out way to add, but trust me it will help in the long run when we start regrouping!

Science:

We will be moving away from our first unit of discovery, States of Matter and beginning our second, Weather.  Our first topic covered will be types of clouds.  We will finish out the week with a pretty cool experiment that will have it “raining” in the classroom!  And since no week would be complete without a silly song stuck in your head, click the video below at your own risk!

Social Studies:

We will be having a unit 1 vocabulary quiz on Thursday.  The following words will be included:

Community, citizen, business, goods, needs, natural resource, service.