A Week of Tricks and Treats!

This week is full of surprises!  Some are fun and I am looking forward to and some not so much.  I get to start off the week with jury duty.  This is a new experience for me.  I’ve never actually had to report for jury duty, so I am trying to take Dr. Cook’s advice and look at this as a learning experience to share with my class.  In our social studies lessons we have been learning about how laws and the court system were developed by the ancient Greeks and Romans to ensure that people were given a fair trial when accused of doing wrong.  Prior to the current system of a jury, anyone could be accused and punished by just the town leader.  So, I will be journaling about my experience (about the process not any details of cases of course)  to share with my class upon my (hopefully short) stint at jury duty.

jury duty

We will be ending our week on a much more fun note with a Healthy Halloween Celebration.  If you would like to send in your child’s costume for our annual costume parade that is fine.  They will have an opportunity to change after lunch.  After the parade we will be having some snacks in our room.  If you would like to send in a healthy snack for the class to share that would be great!  I will be sending home a flier with more information but below is a picture from the Daily Journal a few weeks ago with some snack ideas.

12003395_970826849647534_1602780124726219846_n

Weekly Learning Goals:

Reading

We will be combining science and reading this week as we learn about the arctic and antarctic habitats and penguins.  Our story is “Penguin Chick.”  Our focus skill will be identifying main ideas and supporting details.  We will be using a new type of reading test this week.  Our reading series offers a version of the weekly test that is closely aligned with the type of questions students will see on the PARCC.  After much consideration, I have decided to start using this version each week to assist students in feeling prepared for the PARCC this spring.  I will be sending home a sample test for you to look at with your child to see how it differs from the tests we had been using.  Below is a short presentation to help with this week’s Main Idea homework.

Math

We will beginning our study of multiplication this week.  As the weeks go on we will be creating multiplication flash cards for students to study at home.  I will be administering timed tests weekly to help students track their progress.  These tests don’t count as tests but are used by the students to graph their progress.  We will be using both our math series and a program called Rhymes and Times to help students develop both a deep understanding of what multiplication is as well as build speed with the basic math facts.  Below are the rhymes I will be teaching them to help them remember some of the tricky facts.