One Marking Period Down!

Panic-index

We have officially completed our first marking period!  The kids have worked very hard and I am extremely proud of them!  Many times report card distribution day can cause anxiety.  Please don’t panic!  What is especially nice about the first marking period is that report card distribution is in the same week as parent teacher conferences.  I look forward to meeting with each of you and discussing your child’s progress thus far.  I am using a few new forms this year to help make our conference time more focused and better answer any questions or concerns you may have.  Most of you have returned the parent input form that I attached to your conference time letter.  This will better help me to be prepared to answer any questions you have as well as gather any resources that you may need to help your child at home.  When you come to conferences, you will receive a detailed report with your child’s current levels, areas of strength, and areas needing improvement.  I will also keep a copy of this form as I will be updating it every marking period and sending it home with each report card.

This week our school will be participating in our annual Thanksgiving Feast.  This happens to be my FAVORITE school activity!  I love getting the chance to sit down and have “dinner” with my students and share what we are grateful for.  Stay tuned as I will be posting a video of our feast later this week.  Our cafeteria will be preparing all food for this event.  If you would like to help out you may send in canned food items that we will be donating to local families in need.

Due to conferences, all students will have a half day on Friday.  Our dismissal time is 1:45.  Below is our learning goals for this week:

Reading:

This week we will be working on becoming reading detectives.  We will be reading to find information and draw conclusions.  We will also be working on a fun writing piece this week.  Students will take on the point of view of a turkey and try to persuade us not to eat them.  Below is a presentation reviewing how persuasive writing differs from the writing we have done so far this year.

Math:

We will be continuing to learn our multiplication math facts this week.   We will be taking a test on Topic 5 on Tuesday which will cover 0, 1, 2, 5, and 10 times tables.  We will be learning 3’s and 4’s this week.  We will also be making flash cards to take home to practice.  Here is a really neat trick to multiply by 3’s:

Here is a short video to help review 4’s: