Weekly Goals January 11-15

attitude

Last week was an AWESOME start to 2016! I can tell that we are on the way to making huge strides as we work through the end of the 2nd marking period.  I want to say thank you to may students and their families as they adapted so easily to our new homework format.  I had 98% completion of all flipped math lessons on Sophia.org  and 100% completion of all literature circle questions posted on Edmodo.  I found that having time in class to practice applying skills has been very beneficial.  We will continue with this format this week as well.

Makerspaces update:  All supplies have been bought and bins have been put together!

Each box contains a challenge, puzzle, or creative activity to help students extend upon their learning and think creatively.  Students are SUPER excited to get their hands on these!  I have an even bigger surprise for them this week!  I wrote a  grant for Sphero 2.0’s and the grant was accepted by the Millville Board of Education.  These Spheros will give students the opportunity to try out coding in a real world challenge as they code the robotic balls to complete a maze.

sphero

Weekly Learning Goals:

Reading:

This week we will be reading “Seeing Stars” in class.  Our focus skill will be using graphic sources.

graphic sources

Vocabulary words are:  dim, gas, gigantic, ladle, patterns, shine, and temperature.

We will also be reading a chapter a night in our novels and responding to an open ended question on Edmodo.

Math:

We will be wrapping up topic 8 this week which was our intro into the concept of Division.  Students will have a test on Friday.

division

Science:

We will beginning our unit on systems this week.  Systems exist all around and even within us!  We will start our by exploring different ecosystems this week focusing on identifying producers, consumers.

300px-Ecosystem_matter_energy

Social Studies:

We will be looking at graphic sources in Social Studies as well as Language arts this week.  In addition, we will be wrapping up chapter 2 reviewing types and purposes for communities.